as a 17 year old girl as you may guess, binge watching netflix is quite high up there on my to do list. i love finding shows i can connect to and i actually feel rather distraught when I’ve nothing to watch; speaking of which, after reading this piece, you’ll get a good idea of what genre and what kind of tv shows i indulge in – and so, if you have any recommendations on shows i could watch, please send them my way!
i figured since im always looking for someone that has similar taste in me to tell me about more shows maybe someones looking for the same & i could be of some help!! so i figured id write a blog post on my favorite tv shows and why i love them so much!
so getting right to it; my top 8 favorite TV shows in no specific order (since i can’t decide which i love more!):
1. one tree hill – one tree hill for me, was one of those shows where it hits home. and no, i wasn’t in a love triangle, nor did i know anyone who was a bastard – it was just one of those shows that makes you feel. i watched OTH atleast 2 years ago and it is still probably the only show i will forever call my #1. this is one show i will forever be attached to and hold close to my heart, i mean, when i was done watching i had convinced myself id get a tattoo saying “there’s only one tree hill” thank god i never went through with it. there was so much about this show that i loved, the development of brooke’s character into a strong, empowered young woman, the transition of nathan going from a young, careless boy to a loving, responsible, family-man. And most of all, OTH wasn’t one of those shows that just ended once high school was over for the characters, no it actually takes you years down the line to see what kind of people and adults and parents these kids grow up to me; and to me that was some sort of closure, i can never be entirely satisfied when a show ends, ill always want more – but OTH gave its fans everything they needed to know before they ended. p.s – biggest heart eyes for nathan scott!
2. jane the virgin – i cannot sing its praises enough! jane the virgin is one of the most cutest, funniest and most lighthearted (mind you, doesn’t mean there aren’t a lot of plot twists) shows i’ve ever watched. this show is one of the few on this list that is still on air and that makes me so happy because i literally spend my days waiting for a new episode. jane the virgin is a show that talks about mistakes, broken marriages, pregnancy, abortions, immigrants, education and so much more. for once, the main character isn’t a shopaholic or if she’s smart, she isn’t a geek – she’s a beautiful, young, latina woman that loves writing and teaching and i love that. because its about time we portray smart young woman as a norm. it also doesn’t hurt that rafael is an absolute BABE and rogelio is the funniest man alive!! p.s – justin baldoni is a gem of a human irl – i have never seen an individual so down to earth and loving. pls check him out!
3. the bold type – this show hasn’t been out very long but its already found its way to my heart. the bold type is a show that i love so so much and with time i will only grow to love it more. it focuses on the lives of 3 young, super talented women working for a magazine in new york. (side note: my absolute dream) but what i seem to love most over here – is the CEO of the magazine – jacqueline. for the first time since as long as i can remember, the CEO is not someone who treats her employees like trash or is stone hearted and a real witch – but instead, she empowers her writers, she trusts her employees and she understands them. im the kind of girl that loves chick flick nights and this show is literally the best chick flick ever – except you get another dose every week!! i absolutely love it and id be lying if i said it didn’t leave me feeling empowered after almost EVERY episode.
4. skam – im not one to watch foreign shows and i could never understand how people did because reading subtitles is hardly equivalent to understanding what they said, but not only did i end up watching slam – i freaking loved it. skam talks about what its like to be a closeted gay, a visible head-scarf wearing muslim and what its like to deal with a mental illness such as being bipolar. skam was such a beautiful, beautiful show that showed the true essence of friendship – girls sticking up for each other and guys understanding and being there for each other. one thing that was super different and amazing about skam was the take they took on it and how real they made it out to be. the episode were uploaded in parts in real time so you would think everything is happening literally right at that moment. and every character even had their own instagram account where they would post quite often – almost as if those characters were real humans. skam would even upload screenshots of text messages between characters on their website between/during/after episodes!! everything about this show was so new and different yet so great and moving. this was the show i didn’t even know i needed in my life!
5. gossip girl – ahhh this show. gossip girl is forever my guilty pleasure. if im ever out of shows, or im having a night in by myself with some ice cream, or im feeling low, this is the show im going to turn on and watch in bed. starting with the obvious – GG is set in new york and who doesn’t love new york!? infect, i think i fell inlove with new york because of this very show. sure GG was ridiculous in its own ways and if you read into it a little too much some stuff may have been uncalled for and wrong – but i think the drama kept the show interesting. and i think we all need to admit – dorota was the best part of this show, officially taking applications for my own dorota!! okay jokes aside though, everything about this show all led up to it being so great. the fashion was to die for, the friendships were heart warming, the love lifes – surprising more often than not and new york; breath taking as always. GG is just aways going to be one of those OG shows that you can never let go of and you’ll probably even tell your kids about (or they’ll find out about it when they catch you binge-watching it 20 years from now) but either way, all the craziness helped take your mind off things for a while and just allowed you to immerse yourself into the world of the upper east side.
6. this is us – the newest show on the block but oh so full of emotions. this is us is a show following a love story that evolves into a family that evolves into many separate families and new storylines. i don’t know quite what it was about the show, maybe it was jack’s love for rebecca or the wholesomeness of the family, or the bond between siblings, or the reality of it all – but this show is so. warm. thats all i can say. i know I’ve used the word heart warming far too much by now but i truly feel this show makes you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. it makes you want to relish in love and appreciate your life. it makes you want to call your family and tell them you love them. it makes you want to live life being more grateful everyday. this show is still in its early stages but it seems to be so promising and so great and i honestly cannot wait to see it progress and blossom.
7. the fosters – the fosters is the only show i have ever watched in my whole life that religiously talks and depicts modern day issues. racism, sexual assault, rape, sexism, adoption, foster care, school shootings, drug abuse, illegal immigration – the list goes on forever. every single time there is an issue at hand in our world, the fosters takes it upon themselves to shed some light on it. this show has all my respect and gratitude for just that. aside from the fact that it is an absolutely heartening show, it gives a voice to minorities. it shows solidarity with the people when the system is wrong. it empowers and encourages people to take a stand and fight for what is right. fight for OUR rights. not to mention, the super mature relationship stef and lena have with not only each other but with their children is so amazing to see – the fact that they validate their children’s feelings and allow them to make their own decisions shows that at some point in life you need to treat your kids as adults. on the whole this show is so so great in so many ways and is definitely worth the watch.
8. the vampire diaries – tvd is that one show – that once you start watching you can’t stop!! i remember binge watching this for days at a stretch just to catch up once i found out about it. honestly id be lying if i said i remembered what it was about it that i loved so much but i think when everything came into play, it was just a super interesting show to watch. the romance between elena and the salvatore brothers, her friendship with caroline and bonnie, her bond with jeremy – this show was so cute yet always had some element of surprise in it. something was always bound to happen that would keep you at the edge of your seat. tvd, at a point in time was definitely my favorite show however, this is the only show on this list that i did not watch till the end because i felt it got quite boring in season 7. up until then though, it was super interesting and amazing.
now with all that being said, i don’t have much more to say because I’ve written far too much already. however here’s a list of ALL the tv shows I’ve watched so if you’d like to recommend any that aren’t already on this list, please by all means enlighten me, ill be waiting!!
- one tree hill
- jane the virgin
- gossip girl
- famous in love
- 13 reasons why
- designated survivor
- drop dead diva
- the oc
- switched at birth
- the bold type
- this is us
- the fosters
- the vampire diaries
- big little lies
- hart of dixie
- teen wolf